Tuesday, October 6, 2009

YUM {baked pear custard}

Pears are definitely one of my favorite fruits, which is why I was so excited to find piles of all different varieties the last time Evan & I went grocery shopping @ Henry's. Imagine my delight when I stumbled upon this recipe, for Baked Pear Custard, this morning on Technicolor Kitchen. Yum. I will be making these tonight, thank you!


Baked Pear Custards

2 cups heavy cream
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup vanilla-infused sugar {or regular sugar, whatever you have lying around!}
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pear, thinly sliced
freshly grated nutmeg, for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 300ºF.
Place the cream in a saucepan over medium heat until it just comes to the boil. Place the eggs, egg yolk, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and whisk until combined. Gradually add the hot cream, whisking constantly to combine and to avoid cooking the eggs.
Pour into four 1 ½ cup capacity ovenproof bowls/dishes and top with the pear slices. Place on a baking tray and cook for 20-25 minutes or until just set – this is a very silky dessert.
Sprinkle with nutmeg to serve – I tried them warm and cold (after a night in the fridge) and think both ways work great.

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin